Sunday, March 22, 2015

Days 10-11 Post-Op - March 21-22

Energy Returns

I feel like my energy is back now. I can go out for a pretty long walk and get groceries and whatnot without needing to take a nap the moment I get home. Day 10 post-op I had some ear pain after eating that spiked to about a 4 out of 10, but nothing above the pain levels I've felt so far. Day 11 I again only had pain after eating. I'm confident the worst is over, which is good, since I'm back to the office tomorrow!

Acid Problems

I still haven't been able to bring everything back to my diet yet, the main problem being acid. I tried a sip of wine when I went out on day 8, but I wasn't quite ready for it yet (not sure if it's the acidity or the alcohol). On day 10 I got a tasty-looking cherry-ginger drink to the store, but I took a few sips and it was a little too tart. On day 11 I tried some aloe drink, which I bought because I thought it'd be soothing, but it's also just a little too tart right now. So, it seems I still have some sensitivity to acid. It's not painful, but it is uncomfortable, so I still have a ways to go. At least I know I don't have to avoid tomatoes. And that makes sense. I just refreshed my memory of the pH scales, and while tomatoes (pH 3.5-4.7) are more acidic than bananas (pH 4.5-5.2) and coffee (pH = ~5), tomatoes are on average less acidic than wine (pH = ~3.5, though the alcohol is also an irritant) and cherries (pH 3.2-4.1). I'll try the cherry drink again soon, and I'm sure I'll be trying wine by next weekend if not before. :-)

Note that honey, with a pH of 3.9, is more acidic than many tomatoes, and agave is slightly more acidic than that, at around a 3.7. With sweeteners, you're presumably only putting a relatively small amount into a much bigger drink, so the acidity is not a problem in the drink. But you might not want to lick the honey off the spoon if your throat is still sensitive to more-acidic foods (sugar, maple syrup, and molasses are much less acidic if you're just dying for a sugar rush). Likewise, if you're thinking about drinking apple juice, that's also more acidic than tomatoes on average, with a pH range of 3.35 to 4, so beware.

14 comments:

  1. Acid food is not really the issue for me, but food with pepper burns my throat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is day 11 when you started to feel normal and back to yourself again? I'm currently on day 5 and still feel pretty crappy.
    -Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn,

      Yeah, that was around day 11. Around day 6 I finally felt like I could go out for a walk, but I felt wiped when I got home and needed a nap. Day 10 or 11 I started having a lot more energy and could stand for indefinite periods of time--I think it was day 10 when I had the energy to make meatloaf.

      Don't worry, you'll get there soon!

      Delete
  3. How,do you feel now? How are your taste buds? Your voice, throat, overall? I'm simply terrified

    ReplyDelete
  4. How,do you feel now? How are your taste buds? Your voice, throat, overall? I'm simply terrified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've long been back to normal. I was back to 100% physical activity shortly after my 3-week follow-up with my surgeon, when he told me to resume normal activity. My taste buds, voice, and through were back to normal well before that.

      Delete
  5. Hi Frank, Thank you for the daily account. I have bookmarked your blog for my positive thinking recovery! Yesterday's post op experience was feeling like my worst tonsillitis day, accompanied by a headache (thinking lack of food/nutrition). Today is a little better, except for headache. I'm looking forward to using your diet as a guideline. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank,
    Thank you for posting this. I'm currently in the decision process for a tonsillectomy. Seems like your experience is much better than some others! Good for you! I was just wondering if it hurt to talk at all after surgery? And any other help tips you may have would be much appreciated.
    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, it didn't hurt to talk, but I avoided saying more than a sentence or 2 at a time. So I think that helped, because my throat didn't dry out from talking too much. Also, I couldn't talk very loudly for a good week, so when I tried to dial in for a conference call at work, no one could even hear my "Hello".

      Delete
  7. Hi Frank, Thank you for the daily account. I have bookmarked your blog for my positive thinking recovery! Yesterday's post op experience was feeling like my worst tonsillitis day, accompanied by a headache (thinking lack of food/nutrition). Today is a little better, except for headache. I'm looking forward to using your diet as a guideline. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frank,

    Thanks so much for posting your updates as you go along. I'm having my tonsils out on Monday (the 28th) and getting a little bit nervous, even though I feel like I have a good grasp of what is involved. My surgeon and GP have given me no helpful advice aside from "it's the worst pain you will ever go through", so I have had to wade through the danger zone of the internet.

    I hope my experience is even half as good as yours! I bought myself a tablet in preparation so I can watch mindless TV and movies in bed with my humidifier while my boyfriend plays nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I hope it goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for your post, I am on day 7 post op and honestly it's not as horrifying as most blogs say. Maybe I was lucky with medications (liquid Panadol as the pain killer), but my recovery has not been too bad, apart from pain swallowing and now the ear pain. I think my main issue is sore tummy from the antibiotics, but I have been taking some probiotocs.

    I really think coconut water helped me a lot and resting at home/limiting talking also helped.

    Good luck to everyone and make sure you have a supportive someone to stay around you for a week. My boyfriend been with me through this and just knowing he is here if something goes wrong is very soothing.

    ReplyDelete