Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Days 6-7 Post-Op - March 17-18

Walking and Italian Pastries

Good progress on days 6 and 7. It still hurts to swallow, but the ear pain is becoming less frequent, and the scabs are visibly wearing down. I definitely have more energy too. Since Monday, I've been able to stand for much longer periods of time without feeling pooped. I even went out for a walk yesterday and today. Yesterday I ended up walking to Whole Foods to get some more bananas and then to an Italian bakery, so it ended up being a pretty long walk, but I walked slowly and carried a big bottle of ice water with me so I wouldn't get dehydrated (and it gave me a bit of solace that I had to pass by the ER if I had any problems...). On the way there I popped into a coffee shop and got a smoothie and sat down so I could rest a bit, and on the way home I sat in the park to rest a bit as well, so I think I was able to avoid overexerting myself during this critical period. I got a zeppola (St. Joseph's Day pastry) at the bakery, since it's that time of year, and found that I can eat it, but with relatively small bites and making sure to chew a lot. I ate about half of a chocolate-filled one and then ate the pastry cream from the other half, which tasted amazing.

Deviled Eggs

Today I made deviled eggs, which I figured would be soft enough to eat. I didn't use pickles or pickle juice or relish, but I did put a little dijon mustard in. I actually took a little taste of the mustard by itself, and even though it has vinegar in it, it wasn't enough to bother my throat, which is great to know. I made 3 variations: cumin, garlic & cumin, and garlic & tarragon, and I sprinkled sweet paprika on them (I figure cayenne or hot paprika is probably a bad idea right now). I think I liked the garlic & cumin version the best.



Not bad considering I've never boiled an egg before!

Back to Work

Well, tomorrow (Thursday) I begin working from home, and I plan on being back in the office on Monday. I'll try to post an update by the weekend. Happy St. Paddy's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Frank,
    happy to have found your blog.
    My name is Mat, I m french and just had my tonsils removed on 14th of March.
    I'm 37, so we nearly have the same path so far.
    I'm french so forgive my english :)
    I had to remove my tonsils because of a HPV virus on one of them.
    SO far day 5 and 6 are the worse, I can clearly feel that the pain is sharpening and may due to the scabs falling off... It' was managable until now but without my precious Codeine I think I would have stab my eyes with a fork...
    Anyway I hope you'll still write about your experience and don't mind having me giving some personnal feedback.
    keep fighting :) we will survive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mat,

      Thanks for reading. I never realized you could get HPV on the tonsils, but I'm glad you were able to have it removed. I hope things are starting to get better for you. Bon courage!

      Delete
  2. Hey Frank, Yeah it seems I have the same thing Michael Douglas had, too much tongue play ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete