Friday, March 20, 2015

Days 8-9 Post-Op - March 19-20

Day 8 - Surprise

On day 8 post-op, I went with a friend to an Italian restaurant to try to get out of the house. I ordered pasta with a braised meat sauce, figuring the meat would be relatively soft from the braising and that I've have no problems getting it down, even if this would be my first time attempting to eat meat after surgery. Since I've been avoiding acidic foods, I specifically order a pasta that didn't include tomato. Well, the menu wasn't so descriptive, because when the dish came out, I saw that the sauce contained a good bit of tomato. But I let it cool a bit and took a bite, and I had no problem with it. In fact, I ate the entire dish without any irritation from the tomatoey sauce. I guess tomatoes are OK now!

I also tasted something a little spicy, and I had no problem with that. But I'm used to ordering spicy things and burning my mouth out, so maybe 8 days was enough healing to get back to mild-to-medium spicy things, even if my mouth is still sensitive. I won't be trying hot Buffalo wing sauce or this honey-habanero sauce I love, but it seems that a lower amount of spice is OK.

Day 9 Snowstorm

On day 9 there was a snowstorm--hopefully the last of the season since spring is officially starting--so I was glad to be inside working from home. Nothing new, really. Even though I'm starting to be able to eat a wider range of foods, I'm not sure I'll be able to branch out too much this weekend. Not only do I need to stay hydrated, but I need to clear out all the liquids and soft foods out of my fridge and pantry!

2 comments:

  1. Dunno if it is the same for you but I still have a quite large uvula and still hurt when i swallow..but I am also tired of liquid food and started to eat lasagna and soft bread sandwishes with processed cheese and ham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my uvula was swollen to maybe double its usual size. Now it's swollen by maybe 30-40%, so it's on its way back to normal.

      Delete